Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Start with Yourself


If you want to save the world, you've got to start with yourself.

I've spent a good portion of my life trying my darndest to help: people, animals, causes, even creepy bugs; whatever it was that needed help, I couldn't live with myself knowing that I could have made an impact.

I became a yoga teacher for that very reason -- to share a practice that helped me with others, to guide them through the process and be there when they needed me. Even though the desire to help everyone and everything has always been natural to me, I'd often forget one pretty big piece of the puzzle -- MYSELF.

Sure, I could lead a class about patience and strength but behind the scenes, I was quite possibly the worst example of both. I would submit to the requests of adding more classes to my schedule, even though I was already overwhelmed. I had to help, and I couldn't find it in me to say no.

No matter how much time and effort I put into my classes, no matter how far I traveled, how much time I spent away from my family, I could only reach so many people -- and it never felt like enough.

I had a wake up call when a freak accident in the kitchen left me unable to use my hand for a few months, forcing me to slow down. Instead of welcoming the break, my inability to live up to my own expectations had driven me into a dark place.

It took me far too long in life to realize that I NEEDED TO HELP MYSELF FIRST.

With the goal of a strong, healthy body and strong, healthy mind; I set aside 30 minutes each day for working out, stretching and mediating. It didn't take long to notice a change. I was finally able to live my truth and lead by example.

I am so grateful that my BeachBody support group found me when it did, because I don't know where I'd be right now without them.

Now that I'm able to care for myself, I have found that I can expand my reach to help more people by coaching and running online support groups. If you struggle to find the time or motivation to care for a healthy body and mind, message me and we can get there together.

You can't save everybody, but you've got to save yourself.

#TransformationTuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment